Tuesday, March 17, 2009

ADHD, Finals, and Burning the Stew

I was an hour early. I remembered to fill out a notecard. I remembered a scantron, pencil, and eraser. I even remembered the room number. What I didn't remember was a calculator -- and this final was for my accounting class. What I didn't remember was my meds. Thankfully, the hyperfocus kicked in and I was able to concentrate on the test. The words on the page made sense today. I actually did all my calculations longhand twice! When I turned the test in, I felt good. Really good. In fact, I probably got an A on it.

On the drive home, I wanted to go see my horse but realized I was getting hungry. Getting hungry is not an option for me any more. The opportunity costs are way too high. So, I went to the grocery store, bought stuff for stew, came home, made beef stew, and turned the heat to low to let it simmer. You guessed it. An hour later, I smelled it burning. Thankfully, only the bottom burnt and the rest is mouth-watering delicious. Over-all a wonderfully successful day. I made the grade and I've got amazing stew on the stove.

Three months ago this would have been a very different story. Why am I happy about today? Why am I not beating myself up about my "failures"? First, I got more than eight hours of good sleep. I let myself wind down and wouldn't let myself think too hard before going to bed last night. Second, I ate a big breakfast. I ate two eggs, bacon, hashbrowns, and beans -- the right amount of efficient protein, energy, and soluble fiber to keep me fueled for the morning. Third, I focused on solutions, not mistakes, when I realized I'd forgotten the calculator. Fourth, I ate before I got hungry, preventing blood sugar swings. Fifth, I didn't think too hard about cooking or what I should be doing, I just did it. Sixth, when the stew burnt, I didn't beat myself up.

I did at least six things right so that even though I made two potentially big mistakes, I passed my final and I have stew to eat. That's what really matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment